Satoyama Club Minuma
A Club for Those Seeking to Get Away from Work and Acquire Friends
Satoyama Club Minuma is a club for every adults who want to get away from the daily routine of work and participate freely in a variety of activities to deepen exchanges. Under the theme of “natural farming, living in the satoyama(countryside), and eating delicious and healthy food”, the club aims to promote people to meet, bond and have fun. Regarding the fields of activities, we welcome various theme, “reading club, gathering of history lovers, jazz lovers’ association …”, it is like a community center where people can deepen their ties.
An introductory article was published in Rural News (February 20, 2017).
An club that enjoys natural farming
As one of the activities of the Satoyama Club Minuma, a club to enjoy natural farming was established in spring 2016, and since then, members have gathered every Saturday in the Minuma Tanbo paddy fields in Saitama City to enjoy natural farming without compost. Under the guidance of Mr. Shigeru Yokota, a natural farmer from Ogawa-machi, Saitama Prefecture, we are engaged in the natural cultivation of rice, wheat (for bread and udon noodles), soybeans (for making miso), vegetables and fruit trees (see the map below).
Outline of the Satoyama Club Minuma (Farming Group)
- Number of members : 47 (If you are interested in becoming a member, please contact us for your free trial participation ( up to four times ).
- 2. Annual Membership Fee : ¥30,000 (payable every 6 months; ¥15,000), Family Membership Fee (¥36,000 per family, per year)
- Size of the farm: rice fields ( 2,000 square meters), vegetable fields (870 square meters in the old field and 1,300 square meters in the new field) and orchards (1,100 square meters) (layout map)
- Other facilities: Plastic greenhouse (50 m2), pipe house (50 m2 for storing agricultural equipment)
- Ourf farming equipment: understudy cultivator, standard cultivator, two binders, threshing machine, rice grinder, rice polishing machine, electric winnowing machine, straw crusher, compressor.
Satoyama Club Minuma holds the following events throughout the year to promote friendship among members. If you would like to attend one of these events, please feel free to join us. Please feel free to join us.
February: Making miso (using naturally grown soybeans picked by ourselves)
April: Cherry Blossom Viewing
June: Rice planting
July: Watch the Higashi-Urawa Fireworks Festival from the second floor of the club house.
October: Rice harvesting
December: Harvest Festival and Mochi Pounding Festival
March: Skiing event (some members only)
- We plant to set up a beekeeping box in the orchard to collect honey and use it with the fruit trees to make sweets.
- We would like to make bread using spelt wheat, which has been grown (and already harvested) since the time of ancient Egypt. (Calling all interested bakers.)
Clubhouse: 1-15-12 Higashi-Urawa, Midori-ku, Saitama-shi, Saitama 336-0926, Japan
Minuma-Tambo: 12 minutes walk from JR Higashi-Urawa Station (about 40 minutes from JR Shinjuku Station or Tokyo Station)
The arrangement of the paddy fields
Take a look at the photos that tell the story of the activities that began on December 23, 2015.